Tuesday, 7 October 2014

A year older in dreamy Paris

Ever since I enrolled for French classes at Alliance Francaise, while in college, I was completely smitten by the city of Paris. In class, Paris was projected as the city of dreams, romance and Renaissance. And when I got an opportunity to visit it for my birthday weekend a few years later, Paris was everything (and more) that I hoped it would be.



We got into Paris Gare du Nord station on a cold, foggy morning in January. The station was really impressive, the ornate wall clock on the Eurostar platform, adding to its charm. We managed to navigate our way to the hotel using the beginner level French I had learnt and forgotten years ago. Somehow, it all came back to me there and that is how we found our way around the beautiful city of Paris.

One of my favourite portraits

Our hotel was right down the street from the Eiffel Tower. After settling into the hotel, we started our sightseeing tour on foot, with a map in hand. Our first stop was Orsay Museum featuring exhibits by Monet, Van Gogh and many great artists. After being inspired by some of the greatest art displays, I crossed the road to take in a view of River Seine. I could not help but feel an air of romance around me, with street Jazz musicians on every turn and quaint cafes dotted along every street. 

Paris is magical. Although it was grey and bitingly cold the entire weekend that we were there, the city exuded warmth and love throughout. We managed to visit all major attractions, got lost a couple of times, but soon enough got the hang of finding our way around, on foot - through narrow cobblestone streets and boulevards as well as the metro. I even managed to take a picture with The Mona Lisa, like hordes of other tourists, in front of a security guard, much to my amazement. At dusk, we were at Champs Elysees, the most expensive street in the world, at the time. I visited some of the exclusive, designer show rooms there and walked out shortly afterwards, frightened by the prices. Someday, I thought!

Champs Elysees all lit up

We had dinner at one of the chic bistros there. As the menus were in French, we decided to stick to dishes that were easy to understand. Nevertheless, they turned out to be the complete opposite of what we thought we had ordered. Wine, jazz and Crème brûlée made up for it. There was an on going Christmas fair at the end of the street and the lit up Ferris wheel looked mighty inviting. We went up for a ride in that and got to witness stunning views of Paris at night, with the Eiffel Tower glowing in the distance. Soon enough, it was time for our late night Moulin Rouge show. Good seats, warm hospitality, a glass of bubbly, fabulous costumes and cabaret dance later, we headed back to the hotel.

X'mas Fair close to Champs Elysees
It was going to be midnight soon and I couldn't have asked for a better way to bring in my birthday. Until, of course, just by chance, the Eiffel Tower dazzled us by shining bright like diamonds exactly at midnight. We took pictures and dug into the best Black Forest pastry I have ever had, period. It was one of my best birthdays ever and the start to an even more exciting year, as I later found out.

My first rendezvous with Paris, the City of Light & Romance, left a lasting impression on me. It's like a passionate love affair which makes you keep coming back for more.

Paris is always a good idea - Audrey Hepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment